Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Stained Glass Quilt



This quilt was  four years in the making.  It was made with Good Folks fabric by Anna Maria Horner, still one of my favorite fabric lines (I may or may not be hoarding some of this precious fabric).  I started it in December 2010 (see here and here) when the quilting world, and I along with it, discovered the wonders of half-square triangles.  I'm pretty sure this quilt was my inspiration.  I remember my sister saying "Oy, all that piecing!" when I showed it to her but "all that piecing" was completely worth it (as it usually is).


The top was completed sometime in 2011 or 2012 (more evidence), backed and quilted at the end of 2013, and hand bound in 2014.  I backed it with a subtle Denyse Schmidt print.  I didn't want to use a print that was too busy since I wanted the diamond quilting to show well on the back.  For the quilting, I did straight line stitching with my walking foot in the neutral fabric.  Stitching the inner diamonds was a bit difficult (and time consuming to bury all the knots), but again completely worth it.  I love the diamond shape it created.


I am head over heels for this quilt.  When I showed it to my mom, she exclaimed that it looked just like a beautiful stained glass window.  Thus, I am calling this my "Stained Glass" quilt.


 Pattern: Half Square Triangle Diamonds
Fabrics: Good Folks by Anna Maria Horner, Amy Butler Lotus, Kona Cotton in Ivory.  Backing is Denyse Schmidt.
Quilted: Straight line machine quilted in neutral lines.
Started in December 2010 and completed in Winter 2014




2 comments:

I love hearing from my readers - thanks for leaving a comment!